For the last month-plus, we’ve been passing along plenty of college scores here. And this week is no exception, of course. (For a rundown of this week’s D-I scores and the weekend schedule, click here.)
But today, for the first time since June 12, 2010, we will have some high school scores from games played in the Hudson Valley/Long Island/Connecticut region to pass along.
That’s right, folks.
The regular season officially gets under way here with a handful of games in Long Island, with most LI teams opening up by the middle of next week.
The distinction of the first game played of the season for a regional squad belongs to Fordham Prep, which opened the season on Friday in Texas with a 16-8 win over St. Ignasius College Prep in the Jesuit Lacrosse Tournament in Houston.
On tap for today:
New Hyde Park Floral Park, 10 a.m.
Bayport-Blue Point at Friends Academy, 10:30 a.m.
West Hempstead at Valley Stream, noon
There are also preseason tournaments at Sayville and Half Hollow Hills East. The event at HHH East includes West Islip, St. Anthony’s, Huntington and Massapequa.
Be sure to post score updates and info on these games in the “Comments” portion of this post.
For those in the Hudson Valley, here are a few quick notes on some events of interest:
* Fox Lane Youth Lacrosse will be holding a benefit equipment exchange on Sunday, April 3 from 9 a.m. to noon at Fox Lane High School in Bedford. It will be followed by a youth clinic. If you have any old gear to donate, you may do so between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. this Saturday and between noon and 3 p.m. Sunday, March 27 at FLHS. For more info check out http://www.foxlanesports.com. For more info, contact Anthony Grasso at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Pleasantville High School will be the site for a preseason tuneup event on Sunday, March 27 from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. featuring former John Jay and Syracuse star John Carrozza as well as Jordan Levine of UAlbany and MLL fame. The event is for youngsters in grades 3-10. You can sign-up by e-mailing email@example.com. The cost is $50 for non-Pleasantville residents. All proceeds go to the PHS Booster club. Sign-ups at the gate will be an additional $10.
* John Jay High School in Cross River will be hosting the annual Prime Time Spring Training Clinic from 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday, April 10 for players in grades four through eight. The event features former Syracuse University stars Kenny Nims and Chris Daniello as well as other college and pro stars. Developing both offensive and defensive fundamentals for all positions will be the focus of the event. The cost is $140 per player and includes a Prime Time reversible, Kenny Nims and Chris Daniello autographed poster. Registration islimited to the first 80 players. To register go to http://ptlacrosse.com or contact Prime Time Director Nick Daniello at PTLacrosse@gmail.com.
* UPDATED * Today’s final scores:
Friends 12, Bayport-Blue Point 9
Floral Park 10, New Hyde Park 7
Subscribe to the LaxLessons.com free quarterly newsletter by clicking here.
Check out the March newsletter by clicking here.
Check out the preseason thoughts of leading players from throughout the region by clicking here.
* Updated recruiting review and commitment rundown (for classes of 2011, 2012 and * new * 2013)
* For a list of committed players with their profiles up, click here.
* To get your profile up, click here.
Connect with us
* Follow LaxLessons on Twitter by clicking here.
* Become a Fan of LaxLessons on Facebook now by clicking here.
Lacrosse for Dummies
* Order a copy of the 330-page edition of the book by Joe Lombardi here.
Posted In: CHSAA lacrosse, Gameday, Long Island lacrosse, Section 1, Section 11, Section 8, Section 9
From the scrimmages at Half Hollows East:
Pequa 4, WI 2
WI 4, St. A’s 1
Huntington 4, HHE 1
Huntington 6 Pequa 4
Lots of good hits and hardf play. Don’t draw to much from the scores as starters mixed and matched from scrimmage to scrimmage…
Friends beat Bayport-Blue Point, 12-9.
Floral Park 10, New Hyde Park 7
Hills East won all three scrimmages.