Photo by Ray Nelson/MaxPreps.com
Hofstra University-bound senior captain Korey Hendrickson (No. 14) scored the game-winner in overtime as Farmingdale beat Ithaca 12-11 to celebrate its first-ever state title yesterday. The Dalers were the only team from Long Island to take a state crown this year, marking the first time just one or no LI teams won it all since 2003, when none did.
Ridgefield players celebrate after rallying to beat Fairfield Prep 11-10 for their first state title in 10 years on Saturday.
It was quite a day, folks.
Among the highlights:
* Five of the seven championship games played in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut tristate area were decided by one goal.
* Ridgefield won its first state title in 10 years, rallying to beat Fairfield Prep 11-10 in the Connecticut Division L title game.
* Wilton rolled past New Canaan to win a Division M state title in Connecticut after denying Darien a shot at a seventh straight crown by beating the Blue Wave in the semis.
* St. Joseph’s won its second Connecticut Division S championship in the last three years.
* Farmingdale beat Ithaca in OT to win its first-ever New York State title.
* Jamesville-DeWitt has become Garden City’s nemesis, downing the Trojans in the New York State Class B title game for the second straight year.
* Summit’s 68-game win streak ended as Bridgewater-Raritan won the New Jersey Tournament of Championship game 6-5.
We discussed all that — and more — in this week’s InsideLacrosse.com column on the lax scene in the tristate area. You can check it out by clicking here.
For a rundown of results from Saturday’s state and TOC finals and Wednesday’s semifinals, click here. On that post, you can also access box scores from some of the games there as they become available. (Links to the downstate semifinal final stats are now available.)
Also, gang, a quick programming note. I’ll be joining anchors Jared Greenberg and Shawna Ryan in the MSG Varsity “High School SportsDesk” studio on Monday to analyze and break down the results of Saturday’s title games. Be sure to check it out tomorrow at 6 p.m. on iO Channel 14. (The show reairs at 9 p.m.)
There will be plenty of lax info and news to pass along as always in the hours, days, weeks and months to come, of course. As we all know, there’s recruiting, scheduling and coaching news 24/7, 365. Plus travel teams and summer adult leagues are starting up this week.
So be sure to check back here each day leading up to the start of the 2012 high school and college seasons because there’s always something interesting you will learn — or share.
But now that the high school season wrapped up this past season, be sure to weigh in with what you think was the most memorable moment by voting in our latest poll.
To vote, go to the right panel of this page. Then, just scroll past the “New Comments” and “Popular” tabs and click on “Poll,” and then cast your vote from the choices available, or write in your choice if it’s not listed.
Also, make sure to weigh in with your thoughts on the games by posting your comments right here.
You can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.