We’ll have team coverage of today’s New York and Connecticut state title games, but don’t let that from stopping you from weighing in with your thoughts and insights as the games unfold.
I’ve already arrived in Stony Brook for the New York state title games, eager to see if Manhasset can win back-to-back championships, whether or not Garden City can win a title for the first time since 2000 and, of course, if the nation’s top-ranked team, West Islip, can win it all for the fourth time in five seasons.
You can follow all the scoring and highlights in real time by getting updates from Chris Kieser on the InsideLacrosse.com high school page. Here’s the link.
Ed Boulat will be reporting from the Connecticut state championships in Norwalk, where we will see if Fairfield Prep can make it an impressive five in a row in Class L and Darien an astonishing six in a row in Class M. St. Joseph’s-Trumbull is aiming to defend its Class S title.
Here’s the schedule, with some notes and a look at players to watch in each game.
Enjoy the action, everybody.
New York state championships
at Stony Brook University’s LaValle Stadium:
Section 3s Jamesville-DeWitt (21-0) vs. Section 8s Garden City (18-3), 11 a.m.
* Jamesville-DeWitt is 2-1 in state title games. Its last appearance was in 2007, when it upset John Jay 13-11. John Jay was coming off a state semifinal win over No. 1-ranked Huntington, snapping Huntingtons 64-game win streak.
* Garden City has won four state championships (three in Class B).
* Jamesville-DeWitt is coached by former Syracuse standout Jamie Archer.
* Stephen Jahelka, defense, Garden City (Harvard)
* Brian Fischer, defense, Garden City (Harvard)
* Tom Gordon, midfield, Garden City (Johns Hopkins)
* Jake Bratek, midfield, JD (Syracuse)
* Cameron Stone, attack, JD (Hobart)
Section 4s Corning East (17-4) vs. Section 8s Manhasset (19-0), 1:30 p.m.
* Manhasset is looking for its fourth state title in school history (two of the three titles have come in Class C).
* Corning East made three straight trips to the finals (2006-2008), losing each year, most recently to Mount Sinai 10-5 in 2008. Corning Easts only state title came in 1990 when it beat Yorktown 13-7.
Drew Belinsky, midfield, Manhasset (Penn)
Ricky Buhr, midfield, Manhasset (Syracuse)
Bobby Duvnjak, defense, Manhasset
Tyler White, goalie, Corning East
Devin Grimaldi, attack, Corning East (Towson)
Section 5s Fairport (19-2) vs. Section 11s West Islip (20-1), 4 p.m.
* Fairport, which won its first sectional title since 2002, last appeared in the state title game in 1986 (losing to Garden City) and has never won a championship.
* West Islip is looking for its fourth state title in the last five years.
* West Islip has won 20 straight since dropping its opener in overtime to Sachem North.
* This will be the final varsity game for four-year varsity star Nicky Galasso.
* Fairport has won 11 straight since falling in overtime to defending Class B state champion Canandaigua. The Red Raiders only other loss was to 2010 Class B finalist Jamesville-DeWitt.
* 11 Fairport seniors will be playing lax at the collegiate level.
Nicky Galasso, attack, West Islip (North Carolina)
Andrew Hodgson, attack, Towson
Rob Moore, attack, Jacksonville
Brendan Saylor, attack, Fairport (Maryland)
Connecticut state championships
at Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk:
Fairfield Prep (17-5) vs. Cheshire (20-2), 1 p.m.
* This is the third meeting of the season between Fairfield Prep and Cheshire, with Cheshire winning both 9-8 and 13-5. Preps only other losses this season were against St. Anthonys, Chaminade and New Fairfield.
* Fairfield Prep escaped with a 9-8 win over Staples in the semifinals.
Brendan Rotanz, attack, Fairfield Prep (Dartmouth)
Griff McGoldrick, midfield, Fairfield Prep (Middlebury)
Todd Heritage, attack, Cheshire (Bucknell)
New Fairfield (19-2) vs. Darien (18-3), 3:30 p.m.
* Darien, which has won five straight Class M state titles, is coming off one-goal wins over rivals Wilton and New Canaan.
* New Fairfield has won nine straight since dropping a one-goal game to Weston.
Case Matheis, attack, Darien
Andrew West, goalie, Darien (Cornell)
George Benitez, defense, Darien (Stony Brook)
Eric Parnon, defense, Darien (Maryland)
Nick Costabile, goalie, New Fairfield
St. Joseph-Trumbull (15-6) vs. Weston (19-3), 10:30 a.m.
* Rematch of last years final, won by St. Joseph 12-11
* Westons all-time leading scorer Morgan Faller has been hampered by a foot injury.
Morgan Faller, attack, Weston (Marist)
Robbie Cordisco, attack, Weston (Providence)
Tom Izzo, goalie, St. Joseph (Franklin Pierce)
New York state tournament schedule, brackets
Connecticut state tournament schedule, brackets
MSG Varsity coverage
(Only on Optimum)
Lacrosse for Dummies
Connect with us
LaxLessons.com recruiting coverage
Posted In: Scoreboard Central