Looking back, last week’s Top 25, our second edition of the season, wound up being the proverbial calm before the storm.
There were just a few cosmetic changes from our first rankings.
But wait till you see what’s happened this week.
Well first, let’s not forget what occurred last week.
St. Anthony’s, which had been No. 2, lost to rival Chaminade and then fell again at Yorktown.
And yesterday, our No. 6 team, Cold Spring Harbor, fell to Summit (N.J.).
So brace yourselves, gang. It’s a new-look Top 25.
Be sure to weigh in with your thoughts, analysis and insights.
1. West Islip: Amid a sea of turmoil with the rankings, Nicky Galasso and the Lions have been riding a steady ship. Interesting showdown Saturday vs. Chaminade at 12:30 p.m. (the MSG Game of the Week) looms. (Last week: No. 1)
2. Darien: Blue Wave has had more than its share of preseason injuries. (Last week: No. 3)
3. Yorktown: KI’s prolific goal scoring has drawn the attention, but ‘Husker defense has been as good as advertised. (Last week: No. 4)
4. Manhasset: Indians have a showdown against the Darien Blue Wave on Saturday at noon at the Battle of the Sound in Darien. (Last week: No. 5)
5. Chaminade: We told you there’s no such thing as rebuilding when it comes to Flyers lax. Exhibit A: Chaminade 9, St. Anthony’s 6. (Last week: No. 7)
6. Ward Melville: Patriots displayed balanced scoring in a 9-5 season-opening win over Sayville. (Last week: No. 8 )
7. Ridgefield: New coach Roy Colsey, a midfield legend at Yorktown and Syracuse, makes his debut as Tigers coach tomorrow against Bridgeport Central. Expect the Tigers’ high-octane offense to make a noteworthy first impression as well. (Last week: No. 9)
8. St. Anthonys: An 0-2 start is not quite what most had in mind. (Last week: No. 2)
9. Fairfield Prep: Team set to start the season looking solid in all areas. (Last week: No. 10)
10. Cold Spring Harbor: An intriguing regional showdown against Joe Marasco and Somers looms on Saturday. (Last week: No. 6)
11. Greenwich: Cardinal want to show they are at the level of Darien and Ridgefield. (Last week: No. 12)
12. Rocky Point: Matt Palasek had six goals in a 16-8 win over Longwood that came after a closer than expected 6-5 season-opening win of Middle Country. (Last week: No. 11)
13. Garden City: Win streak is at five for the Trojans, who face New Canaan on Saturday at the Battle of the Sound at Darien. (Last week: No. 14 )
14. Massapequa: Sure ‘Pequa has two losses, but they were vs. West Islip and Chaminade. (Last week: No. 15)
15. John Jay: Young Indians should be battle-tested by a brutal schedule when it comes time for sectionals. (Last week: No. 16)
16. Port Washington: A 15-6 win over Syosset (in which Jeff Froccaro won 16 of 24 faceoffs), has catapulted Port into the rankings. (Last week: Not ranked)
17. Lynbrook: A 5-0 start has this team climbing higher each week. (Last week: No. 20)
18. Iona Prep: Gaels have an intriguing showdown against a Rye team it lost to by a goal last year. This season, Iona Prep will enter as the favorite. (Last week: No. 18)
19. Somers: Back-to-back wins over Mahopac and Hen Hud have the Tuskers eyeing a possible upset against Yorktown tonight. If they get it, it would be their third win over Yorktown in the last four years. (Last week: No. 19)
20. Mount Sinai: Mount outscored Connetquot 6-1 in the fourth quarter of an 11-6 season-opening win. (Last week: No. 17)
21. Lakeland/Panas: A 3-0 start including two wins over teams outside the region have the Rebels movin’ on up in the rankings. (Last week: No. 25)
22. Rye: Garnets’ game today at John Jay will tell a lot. (Last week: No. 23)
23. Wilton: The John Wiseman era officially starts tomorrow. (Last week: No. 24)
24. Baldwin: Dominique Alexander and company have won five straight. (Last week: Not ranked)
25. Plainedge: A 3-1 start lifts the Red Devils into the Top 25. (Last week: Not ranked)
Dropped out: Syosset (Last week: No. 13); New Canaan (Last week: No. 25), Mahopac: (Last week: No. 21)
BY REGION – Top 5
1. Yorktown, 2. John Jay, 3. Iona Prep, 4. Somers, 5. Lakeland/Panas
1. Manhasset, 2. Chaminade, 3. Cold Spring Harbor, 4. Garden City, 5. Port Washington
1. West Islip, 2. Ward Melville, 3. St. Anthonys, 4. Rocky Point, 5. Mount Sinai
1. Darien, 2. Ridgefield, 3. Fairfield Prep, 4. Greenwich, 5. Wilton
Be sure to weigh in with your comments.
You can also reach Joe Lombardi at email@example.com.