High school lacrosse fans in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut tristate regions may be the first ones to set their clocks ahead this weekend when Daylight Savings Time starts at 2 a.m. on Sunday.
After all, with some of the big early season matchups set for the opening weeks of the season, who can blame them?
Because Connecticut teams don’t start their seasons until the first week in April and New Jersey squads till very late in March, most of the big “early bird” games are in New York.
Here’s a quick overview of what awaits. Be sure to weigh in with your thoughts and early predictions. And if we left out a game you’re looking forward to, let us know.
* Garden City at Syosset (March 19): The traditional featured lid-lifter for LI lax, this year’s game has even more juice than usual as GC is coming off a state championship and Syosset a trip to the LIC.
* Kellenberg at St. Anthony’s (March 20): St. A’s officially starts its quest for a possible fifth straight CHSAA title.
* Massapequa at Chaminade (March 21): Chaminade is ranked No. 2 nationally in the preseason Under Armour/Inside Lacrosse national power rankings. Massapequa has a strong shot at returning to the Section 8 Class A title game.
* Smithtown West at Syosset (March 22): A battle of two of the nation’s premier programs.
* Rocky Point at Smithtown East (March 22): You will be hearing more and more about Smithtown East as the preseason. This season-opening clash against a solid RP squad should provide an indicator as to how strong SE can be.
* Garden City vs. Loyola-Blakefield (March 23): This is an 11 a.m. game, but it’s a prime-time matchup to start off a busy day of action of the Konica Minolta Face-Off Classic at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. After this one, Colgate faces Navy in Game 1 at 2 p.m., followed by a 4:30 p.m. clash between Virginia and Johns Hopkins..
* Jamesville-Dewitt at Whitesboro (March 23): JD, which was denied what would have been a third straight trip to the Class B state final last year, plays its opener.
* Ward Melville at Riverhead (March 25): WM, which is considered a strong challenger to West Islip in Section 11 Class A, gets its season started.
* West Islip at Connetquot (March 25): WI plays its first game since going 21-1 and beating Ithaca 12-7 in last year’s Class A state title game.
* Ithaca at Vestal (March 27): State finalist Ithaca opens its season after finishing 18-2 last year.
* Columbine vs. Yorktown at West Point (March 27): The first of back-to-back battles vs. New York state powers for the visitors from Colorado starts with this 11 a.m. game.
* Columbine at John Jay (March 28): Columbine is back at it in this 6 p.m. game at JJHS.
* Yorktown at John Jay (March 30): The unofficial “game of the year” in the Section 1 regular season, this 7 p.m. showdown also a rematch of last year’s classic overtime sectional final, won by Yorktown. This is the second game of a doubleheader, with the John Jay and Yorktown girls teams playing at 5 p.m.
* Chaminade at West Islip (March 30): This high noon clash features two of the premier programs in the nation.
* La Salle at Garden City (March 30): This huge day for colossal clashes features the Pennsylvania power visiting the Trojans in a game between two teams ranked in the preseason Top 10 nationally.
In girls games of note in addition to Yorktown-John Jay, St. Anthony’s hosts Farmingdale in a March 23 mega matchup. Defending Class C state champ Shoreham-Wading River gets things started March 25 at Kings Point. Northport hosts Sachem North on March 27.
Our latest poll question asks which March matchup you’re looking forward to the most. To vote, go to the right panel of this page. Then, scroll past the “New Comments” and “Popular” tabs and click on “Poll.” You will then see the poll questions and can cast your vote from the multiples choices, or, write in your choice if it’s not one of the choices.
Have a recruiting commitment to report? Email us at email@example.com.
Player’s perspective archive
Connect with us
Get in the game
Cast your vote in our latest poll
To vote, go to the right panel of this page. Then, scroll past the “New Comments” and “Popular” tabs and click on “Poll.” You will then see the poll questions and can cast your vote from the multiples choices, or, write in your choice if it’s not one of the choices.