Hofstra University-bound senior captain Korey Hendrickson (No. 14) scored the game-winner in overtime as Farmingdale beat Ithaca 12-11 to celebrate its first-ever state title on June 11. The Dalers were the only team from Long Island to take a state crown this year, marking the first time just one or no LI teams won it all since 2003, when none did.
It was a memorable – and meaningful – year for tristate area boys lacrosse.
Among the highlights:
- Farmingdale ends West Islip’s dynasty — and 40-game win streak — by beating the Lions in the Long Island Class A title game en route to the state title.
- Eventual state champ Wilton beats Darien in the Connecticut Class M state semis to halt the Blue Wave’s run of six straight state titles and quest for “Seven in ’11.”
- Summit’s 68-game win streak ends as Bridgewater-Raritan wins the New Jersey Tournament of Champions title game.
- Garden City defeats two-time defending state champ Manhasset twice, including in the Section 8 Class B title game.
- Ridgefield wins its first state title in 10 years, rallying to beat Fairfield Prep 11-10 in the Connecticut Division L title game.
- Yorktown reclaims Section 1 supremacy, beating John Jay in the Class B title game after a rare sectional-final loss in 2010 (to Lakeland/Panas).
All told, five of the seven championship games played in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut tristate area were decided by one goal.
There was also an interesting trend, with a sharp increase in verbal college commitments by current high school sophomores.
Considering all that happened, it’s a tough task to pick what story was the biggest.
But we’re asking you to do just that.
Be sure to weigh in with your thoughts here.
And, don’t forget to cast your vote in our latest poll question, which asks: “What do you think was the biggest story in boys lacrosse in the tristate area in 2011?”
To vote, go to the right panel of this page. Then, just scroll past the “New Comments” and “Popular” tabs and click on “Poll,” and then cast your vote from the choices available, or write in your choice if it’s not listed.
While 2011 was interesting indeed, there’s also some college news to pass along that has big implications for 2012.
* Have a recruiting commitment to report? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Holiday Giveaway *
Check out this custom LaxLessons helmet
Player’s perspective archive
* If you’re a player from the region and would like to share your perspectives on the 2012 season, send an email to email@example.com. You can check out the more than 90 stories by clicking here.
* For a look at how schedules for teams from throughout the region for the 2012 season are shaping up, be sure to check out the “Schedules galore” thread.